William J.Clinton Presidential Library, Arkansas, USAWhat is the LEED Certification?
Opened in November 2004, after seven years of planning and construction, William J.Clinton Presidential Library was initially built to meet LEED Silver certification standards and received it in the same year. 3 years later, in 2007, the library was awarded LEED platinum certification, thus becoming the first presidential library with such a high rating. Clinton Library, as well as the National Archives (which preserves, protects and exhibits documents and artifacts of Clinton’s two terms as president) are administered by the Clinton Foundation. It goes without saying, that the library is a vivid example for other federal facilities, both in design and architecture. The complex used the Tremco greenroofing system. The greenroof is 1300 sq meters, half of which is covered with plants. Reduction of waste in the building is done through intensive recycling. The main priority of construction team was the efficient use of energy by means of conservation. Indoor environmental quality was also taken into consideration. And it’s not surprising that since its opening in 2004, the facility has been visited by over one million people. Exhibition space is 1900 square meters.
In August 1999 President Clinton chose James Polshek and Richard Olcott to be the primary architects of the center. Jonathan Semans was Construction Program Manager. The building is constructed mainly of steel and glass. Situated on the banks of the Arkansas River, the 5-story complex cost $165 million. Fund-raising was done by Terry McAuliffe, President Clinton’s friend. The library consists of meeting rooms for numerous educational programs, events and exhibitions, a café and an executive room on the fifth floor, used exclusively by the 42nd President of the USA.
By Astghik Atabekyan, www.building.am