Fish Building, Minnesota, USA
The world of animals beautifies the Earth and the buildings in their shape please our eyes. The Big Fish Supper Club, as it is called today, was built in 1958 by sculptor Wayne Kumpla in Bena, Minnesota. The 20 meters long and 4.3 meters tall Fish originally was designed to be an ice cream and hamburger stand. The body was built by roofing materials on a wooden frame and Coca-Cola signs were used to make the fish's eyes. It was originally called the Big Fish Drive Inn or due to another source- the Big Muskie Drive-in. In 1963, Big Fish was converted into a souvenir shop. Later, a more conventional building was constructed next to it, to serve as restaurant. For many years, the Fish was used for storage and the fish's teeth were stolen a few times. In 2009 open-mouthed fish cried for help, and consequently appeared on the 2009 list of "Minnesota's 10 Most Endangered Historic Places". The locals provided money to help renovate the Fish building back to its former glory. The owners, Paul and Linda Reimers, along with his carpenter brother-in-law, did the necessary carpentry work. The new outer skin was made from new roofing materials, and now it should stand to the harsh Minnesota winters a little better. In 2010 Al & Amy Hemme purchased The Big Fish. Now it is a part of a complex called "Big Fish Supper Club and Resort" which also offers newly remodeled, air conditioned cabins for a comfortable stay. Adjacent to Lake Winnibigoshish, in the heart of the Chippewa National Forest, the resort offers possibilities for fishing, ice fishing, boating, campfires, and hunting for grouse, black bear and whitetail deer, snowmobiling and for much more… Travelers and vacationers can also try the tasty dishes from the funny "Big Fish" restaurant menu.
By Lilit Khalatyan, www.building.am