Eielson Visitors Center, Alaska, USAWhat is the LEED Certification?
The Eielson Visitors Center at Denali National Park was established in 1934 as a tent camp. Since then the building was reconstructed and redesigned several times. It is named after Alaskan aviator Carl Ben Eielson. In 2004, because of a growing number of visitors, the building was closed for reconstruction and did not open until 2008. The center includes a gallery which shows the wild life of Denali National Park. The main purpose of the green project was to create a sustainable building matching with the surrounding landscape. The green roof provides the whole cycle of stormwater treatment. The concept of renewable energy is realized by a system of solar panels and a battery bank. They solve the problem of production and conservation of electricity which is of utmost importance as the center is off power grid. Mechanisms of efficiency include also ventilation systems, control over CO2 emissions, efficient lighting, etc.
The design of the building was done by RIM Architects. The main contractor was Built Environment Team. The building occupies about 1393 square meters (or 15,000 square feet). Floor area is 826 square meters (8,900 square feet). Eielson Visitors Center is also a leader in the sphere of teaching the public about eco-friendly environment and reduction of energy. Eielson was the first National Park building with LEED Platinum certification.
By Astghik Atabekyan, www.building.am